1. Look at the student studies of branches using cross-contours. Read the section on cross-contour in the Student Art Guide.
2. Look at the Almond Branches by van Gogh and read the commentary about the context and the composition. Take notes on the major points:
3. Notice the method of this artist working on a reproduction of van Gogh’s Almond Branches.
4. Read the biography of and comments on Patricia Tobacco Forrester. Take notes on the major points:
5. Look at all the images and compositions by Forrester at this site and the google images below it, and others if you want. Consider how she uses positive and negative space in the compositions:
6. Consider the visual and emotional effect of the branches by van Gogh and Forrester in terms of both their symbolic significance and the visual effect. Which image is most impressive to you and why? How does this contribute to your understanding of and sensitivity to the form of the branches? Write down your responses.