“My work-purpose, my theme, can most clearly be stated as recognition, recording and presentation of the interdependence, the relativity of all things – the universality of basic form… In a single day’s work within a radius of a mile, I might discover and record the skeleton of a bird, a blossoming fruit tree, a cloud, a smokestack; each of these being only a part of the whole, but each – in itself – becoming a symbol of the whole, of life.” Edward Weston
1. Listen to Weston’s account of photographing peppers and respond to his ideas and your own experience photographing.
2. Watch the video and post comments in response to each of the items in the menu bar on the right.
3. Listen to the curators account of Tina Modotti and Edward Weston and comment on this.
4. Read the following two articles and comment on the formal /personal /objectification aspects of Weston’s nudes.
5. Read about Charis Wilson in the obituary and watch the video. Comment on her role as muse, collaborator in the nude photographs of her.
6. Look at the following video as a preview for our visit to the show, Pt. Lobos and the historic Weston house. Comment on three aspects you find interesting and what you are most interested in experiencing in person.
7. Familiarize yourself with the following, and comment on the article on “Point Lobos and iconic Weston photographs” since you will be shooting photographs there also.
What do you hope to find as a photographer? What will you be looking for and thinking about as you photograph there?