1. Look at the student studies of branches using cross contours:
2. Look at the discussion of positive and negative shapes in the composition of these photographs by Art Wolfe:
3. Look at the Almond Branches by van Gogh and read the commentary about the context and the composition:
4. Read the biography of and comments on Patricia Tobacco Forrester:
5. Look at all the images and compositions by Forrester at this site and the google images below it, and others if you want. Consider how she uses positive and negative space in the compositions:
6. Comment on the visual and emotional effect of the branches by van Gogh and Forrester in terms of both their symbolic significance and the visual effect. Which image is most impressive to you and why? How does this contribute to your understanding of and sensitivity to the form of the branches?